Today, we’re talking about swaddling – a baby that is.
First up, what exactly is swaddling?
Swaddling is an age old art of snugly wrapping your baby in a blanket for warmth, comfort and feeling secure.
Why is Swaddling Important?
Reduces Risk of SIDS
- Evidence has shown, that swaddled back sleeping infants have lower incidence of SIDS than unswaddled back sleeping infants.
- When babies sleep better on their backs, parents are less likely to lay baby down on their tummy – which is unsafe.
- Swaddling also helps sleeping infants stay sleeping on their backs.
Swaddling Helps Babies Sleep Better
- Swaddled babies tend to wake less at night, which allows them to get more REM sleep – believed to be important for brain development.
- When babies sleep better and longer, YOU get more sleep too!
Reduces Colic and Fussiness
- Snug swaddling helps to soothe babies, as it reminds them of being in the womb.
- Swaddling also helps prevent over stimulation and less jerky movements that can startle him or her awake.
- Babies gain self-comfort by sucking on fingers or hand if swaddled with hands near face.
- Swaddling helps to keep infants comfortably warm, since infants are inefficient at regulating their own temperature.
How to Swaddle?
- Place your swaddling blanket on a flat surface in a diamond position in front of you.
- Fold the top corner down about 6 inches, and place baby in the center of the blanket with their neck at the fold.
- Starting on your left, bring the 1st corner over and tuck snugly behind baby.
- The bottom corner goes over baby’s left shoulder and behind baby’s back. The weight of the baby on the tucked under corners will help to keep the swaddle secure.
- Take the 3rd corner across and all the way around behind baby, tucking the tail of the blanket into the fold in the front.
- Avoid having the blanket touch baby’s cheek, this can stimulate baby’s rooting response and wake baby.
- Ensure baby’s hips and knees are in a flexed froglike position inside the swaddle. Do not straighten or over extend your baby’s joints. Support baby in a natural position for proper joint development.
- Every baby is unique. Ask your baby’s pediatrician about swaddling your baby.
- SwaddleDesigns blankets are the only swaddling blankets with instructions sewn to the edge of the blanket. Moms, dads, grandparents and caregivers appreciate the instructions at their fingertips when they are learning how to swaddle.
I’m ready to swaddle baby!
Did you swaddle your newborn or infant?
Make sure you check out SwaddleDesigns adorable line of Swaddling Blankets for babies.
If you haven’t already, make sure you enter to win a SwaddleDesigns blanket, included in our “WELCOME BABY” BABY SHOWER GIVEAWAY!! Over $600 in products for mom and baby.
*disclosure: I received a SwaddleDesigns blanket to use with baby. Check SwaddleDesigns FB page for coupon codes. I found a half off one and bought 3 SwaddleLite packs (like pictured above) – woohoo! All thoughts are my own!