How to Easily Clean Kids Toys with Vinegar #HeinzVinegar

Share on Facebook142Pin on Pinterest1,622Tweet about this on Twitter4Share on Google+7Share on StumbleUpon0

School has been in session for a couple of months now, play dates are moving indoors, and the littlest two attend the child-watch at the gym weekly, which means my kiddos are bringing home those kid germs, like it’s nobody’s business. With three kids, at least one of them always has a runny nose or another one of those pesky cold symptoms.

That’s why it’s especially important to try and keep their toys clean and germ free as much as possible. I have found, that with many of their toys and especially their Barbies, I can easily wash them all in either the dishwasher or with a cleaning spray.

We try and keep our cleaning solutions healthy and safe for not only our girls, but our dog too. Plus, you got to keep it “green” for environment, right? It’s so simple, just to use vinegar.

Over the weekend, we took a trip over to Walmart. We needed to pick up a few things, including some more vinegar, since we ran out of our last bottle. You can see our fun shopping trip pics over on my Google+ page.

Anyways, they had quite a selection to choose from, but what really stood out to me was Heinz Cleaning Vinegar.

Heinz Cleaning Vinegar, Cleaning Vinegar, Clean Kids Toys with Vinegar, use vinegar to clean kids toys

What I like about vinegar, is that it is safe. You can use it throughout your home to clean laundry, surfaces, and even your produce.

Since going Paleo, we have been buying a ton more produce, and I have found that it is easiest to come home from our shopping trip, and wash all of it in the sink with vinegar and water.

Heinz Cleaning Vinegar is a cost-effective alternative to harsh cleaners and chemicals, which is also important. Especially if you like to clean often. Which I really don’t, but with having children, I still do.

Have you ever tried using vinegar to clean your children’s toys?

It’s really quite easy. You load up the dishwasher with anything that is plastic or rubber. Make sure not to put anything that uses batteries though. Then just add in 1 1/2 – 2 cups of vinegar and wash.

That’s it!

Clean your kids toys in the dishwasher with vinegar! #HeinzVinegar

For those toys that can not be put into the dishwasher, you can create a Citrus Infused All-Purpose Cleaner. It can easily be used to spray and wipe down the bigger toys, or wooden ones.

Either way, it helps to clean your toys periodically, to eliminate germs in the home and keep our kiddos from getting sick.

Do you use vinegar at home? If so, what for?

As a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community, I am compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and HEINZ. All thoughts and opinions are my own. #CBias #SocialFabric

Tags: , , , , , ,

About the Author

In 2010, Hanan went from talking about her parenting ups & downs on private forums to discussing them with literally everyone on the internet with her blog EAT. CRAFT. PARENT. (formally Lilac City Momma). Since then, she’s had the opportunity to talk about parenting, cooking, photography, marriage, crafts, faith, and so much more. She also shares her opinions on everyday products from food to baby gear, and everything in between. With four little girls all under seven, there is never a dull moment in their home. When she’s not blogging she’s chatting about parenting and life in general on Facebook and Twitter, or wasting way too much time on Pinterest.

35 Replies

Trackback  •  Comments RSS

1. Jenny F says:

I love cleaning with Heinz Cleaning Vinegar! Love that you can use the dish washer to clean toys, great tip!
    Jenny F recent post: Big Pumpkins

2. Mr Clean says:

Interesting article on the power of Vinegar as a natural cleaner, I didn’t know you could use it in your dishwasher .. the items not only come out hygienic cleaned but smell of Chips

3. Barbara says:

Such a great idea. I tend to forget about what a great cleaner vinegar is for all sorts of things.
    Barbara recent post: Pictures From The Pumpkin Patch

4. Karen Medlin says:

Love the dishwasher, I am always using wipes to clean the toys.. never thought of using the dishwasher.. Woot! Thank you for sharing

5. Bridget A says:

This is good information to know! I love using the dishwasher to clean things, but never thought of using vinegar!
    Bridget A recent post: My Nutrisystem Weight Loss Journey: Week 13

6. That dishwasher full of toys rocks. Thank you for being so awesome!!!

7. That is a brilliant idea! I just learned about the Heinz Cleaning Vinegar and it’s on my shopping list to pick up next time I’m at the store.
    Tesa @ 2 Wired 2 Tired recent post: Honda Odyssey Review

8. Amy @ Oh So Savvy Mom says:

Huh, never would have thought of putting toys in the dishwasher. I want to try this new cleaning vinegar though.
    Amy @ Oh So Savvy Mom recent post: Free Halloween Decorations and Printables at the HP Creative Studio!

9. Lolo says:

I love cleaning with vinegar, and I love Heinz products!
    Lolo recent post: Rice Krispies Surprise Pumpkin Treats

10. Michelle says:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how to you put the vinegar in the dishwasher? That much certainly wouldn’t fit in the soap holder. Do you just pour inside on the bottom?

11. Thank you for the reminder! I need to clean JDaniel’s toys!
    JDaniel4′s Mom recent post: Taking Time to Play: Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails

12. I wish that my Walmart carried the Heinz cleaning vinegar, so far it’s just the regular kind. I make due, though, I just mix it with water.
    Jenn @therebelchick recent post: How Do You Unwind After a Rough Week?

13. What a great tip to use the dishwasher to clean the toys with vinegar!
    Samantha @ A Little Simplicity recent post: Scentsy Warmer & Bar Giveaway

14. Hi there!
    I love this tip, so easu and quick. I am pinning and sharing it on my FB page. Thank you for sharing!
    Desiree @the36thavenue.com recent post: DIY Flower Pin Tutorial

15. Meredith says:

Do the toys smell like vinegar afterwards? I have been looking at ways to clean all the toys easier and this looks perfect. How often do you wash the toys?

16. Deborah says:

I use vinegar and baking soda in the potty– (let it set for a few, give it a swish, and flush!) I microwave a cup of vinegar for 2 minutes to create “vinegarry” steam in there… then stuck on gunk just wipes away. I have a spray bottle of vinegar, dawn dish soap, & water in the shower for quick spraydowns after a shower to keep it fresh and scum free. There’s not much the magical stuff can’t do!
    Deborah recent post: Etsy kicks Target’s ass…

17. Brandy says:

Quick question – do you put the dishwasher on hot wash or just normal wash?

18. Emily says:

I use a combo of regular vinegar and water to clean my kitchen cabinets. It also works well on leather furniture. Take a slightly dampened rag and wipe down sofas or other leather furniture.

19. Austin says:

Do you put the vinegar where you usually put the dish detergent?

20. Marlene Russell says:

Thanks for the vinegar anad dishwasher advice. Now I have another reason for bugging hubby for a dishwasher as I clean the toys at our church.

21. Kim Thomas says:

I use a 50/50 vinegar and water solution in a spray bottle to wash my fruits and veggies. I read in several places that it removes over 90% of the pesticides so I use it every time. Thank you for the great tips. Take care. :)

22. Emilie says:

What a nice idea! I use bicarb soda with vinegar to clean my stove. Vinegar is so useful. i will try the brand. Thank you.

23. Jennifer says:

Do you let them air dry or let the dishwasher dry them? Wondering if it would melt the toys? Thanks!

24. Erin says:

I love cleaning with vinegar! A quick money saving tip though, you’d be better off buying the regular strength vinegar and diluting it yourself. In your picture, it shows the cleaning vinegar priced higher than the regular. You’re paying more for watered down product and a label that states “cleaning.” By buying the regular strength bottle, you can stretch that to about 4 big bottles of “cleaning vinegar” depending on the ratio you use. I generally do 1/4 vinegar and the rest water.

25. Bec says:

I hope no one judges me for this but I’m just wondering when you mentioned “Then just add in 1 1/2 – 2 cups of vinegar and wash.” where exactly do you add the vinegar into? The soap department, pour it into the bottom then press start, or let it sit in the cup on the rack with the toys? Thanks!

• No worries, Bec! There’s really no way to mess this part up. You can add some to the dispenser, or to the bottom of the dishwasher. I’ve also just left it in the cup too. Either way, it will get mixed around in there.

26. danyelle says:

Do you use the same amount if using regular vinegar?

Post a Reply