Getting past the “Mommy, don’t leave me!” phase…

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest0Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon0

I love my girls, but one of the hardest parts of having a toddler, is when they hit that phase, when they don’t want to leave your side, they don’t want to go into the play area/child watch, or they just basically freak out when your not around.

This may not be the case for everyone, I know that. But, with both my girls, we have gone through this and are still going through this a little with Kendall.

Next month, she will be 2.5 years old.

We joined the YMCA a few weeks ago, so I could start working out. As soon as we drive into the parking lot, she starts freaking out and saying “No, mom!”. Every time.

God forbid, this child cries almost every single time I put her in the child watch. I know she will be okay, because they told me she is okay after five minutes or so. Once she gets distracted of course.

When Carleigh is with us, which is not all the time since she has school during the week…it’s not as bad. She has her sister to play with, so it makes it a little bit easier to get her to go.

We went through it with Carleigh, so I know it will eventually pass. Heck, I’m pretty used to it that the crying doesn’t bother me as much anymore.

Did you ever have to deal with “separation anxiety” from your little ones?

About the Author

In 2010, Hanan went from talking about her parenting ups & downs on private forums to discussing them with literally everyone on the internet with her blog Eat.Craft.Parent - since then, she’s had the opportunity to talk about parenting, cooking, photography, marriage, crafts, faith, and so much more. She also shares her opinions on everyday products from food to baby gear, and everything in between. With four little girls all under seven, there is never a dull moment in their home. When she’s not blogging she’s chatting about parenting and life in general on Facebook and Twitter, or wasting way too much time on Pinterest.

7 Replies

Trackback  •  Comments RSS

1. Kendall says:

Thankfully neither my 3 or my 1 year old have ever gone through it.
    Kendall recent post: Mother’s Day

2. kristin says:

We’re going through it right now with my almost 3 year old. There’s no easy way of going about leaving them when you have to.
    kristin recent post: The Adorable New Fisher-Price Giggle Gang – Giveaway

3. Alicia says:

Separation anxiety is the worst. It is the perfect roller coaster of mommyhood guilt in a heavy dose. I’m afraid I don’t have any tips or advice, but all I can say is they will outgrow it!:) Hang in there~!
    Alicia recent post: Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales Around the World DVD Review

4. Alissa says:

YES! We’re also going through it right now with our 2.5 year old. Boy, it makes it tough for both of us!
    Alissa recent post: May 19 is National Learn to Swim Day

5. LeeAnn says:

Rylie cried every morning when I dropped her off at daycare until she was 3 years old. I found out that at one point, the cook at the daycare was even putting her in time out as soon as I left. Yeah, we pulled the kids out of that place shortly thereafter.

Even though she doesn’t cry in the mornings any longer (thank goodness!), Rylie is still a very clingy kid when we are out somewhere. She is so afraid we are going to leave her. If we go to a birthday party, she generally won’t play with her friends unless her dad or I are right there with her. I have no idea how to help her get over that. We have never left her anywhere, so I don’t know where this came from.

I hope Kendall grows out of this phase soon. My only advice would be to not make a big deal over it. Walk her into the child watch area, give her a kiss and tell her you will see her soon, and then turn around and walk out. If they see that they can get to you, it will just get worse…trust me, I know this. ;-)
    LeeAnn recent post: Wordless Wednesday: Haircut

• Hanan says:

I’m sorry you have had to deal with this too! The last couple of months, I have started to do that. Just say bye and leave. Of course the other day, my husband was with us and kept talking to her to try and calm her down. I told him, just come on already…you’re making it worse, lol!

6. Sandy says:

Leaving and coming back quickly helps children discover that you will come back every time. It sounds cold-blooded but when you arrive don’t don’t feed into their crying. Be upbeat, happy and playful. Make your arrival a thing of joy. Be patient and try to enjoy even the frustrating moments, one day instead of “Mommy, don’t go” it will be “Mommy, please go”.
    Sandy